Skip to Main Content

What is Universal Credit Managed Migration?

The Government are moving people who are currently claiming legacy benefits such as housing benefit onto Universal Credit. This is happening now.

You do not need to do anything until you have received a Universal Credit ‘Migration Letter’.

When will I be notified I will be moving onto Universal Credit?

Once you have received the letter, you will have 3 months to make your claim for Universal Credit.

The notice tells you:

  • The need to claim UC instead.
  • The ‘deadline day’.
  • What happens if you don’t claim in time.
  • Other information about how to claim UC, joint claims, couples, etc.

Will I be better or worse off?

Every case is different. It may be you will be better off under Universal Credit. It may be you will be worse off but you will be entitled to ‘Transitional Protection’. Transitional Protection is a top-up payment so you do not lose out because of the introduction of Universal Credit. It means that, in cash terms, you cannot receive less than your current benefits.

Our team are here to help if you are worried you will be worse off. You can also use a benefits calculator to check Benefits calculators - GOV.UK (

Also, you will keep getting your current benefit paid for 2 more weeks. You must still be eligible for your current benefit.

This only applies if you are getting:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
  • Income Support.
  • Housing Benefit.

You will not need to pay back the extra payments and they will not affect the Universal Credit you might get.

When will my transitional protection end?

Your transitional protection may end through the following means:

  • Your UC award increases to reach the same amount you were receiving from the benefits it replaced, or
  • Your UC entitlement decreases to nothing, or
  • Have a significant change of circumstance.

You can find further information here: What is Universal Credit (UC) transitional protection? - Turn2us

What happens if I do not claim Universal Credit within the 3 month window?

We would strongly recommend you do not miss your deadline date. The DWP may extend (at discretion) the deadline by 1 month.

If you claim after the final deadline:

  • Your legacy benefits will stop immediately.
  • You are not able to get transitional protection.
  • Your Universal Credit will not be backdated.

How do I pay my rent once I am on Universal Credit?

Under Universal Credit, you will receive benefits in one lump sum, paid monthly. In the past your local council may have paid your housing benefit straight to us. Under Universal Credit, this is paid to you. However, in Scotland you may ask for your housing costs to be paid direct to your landlord. If you want to pay yourself, most of our tenants pay by Direct Debit. We can set up a Direct Debit with you so that when you receive your housing costs from Universal Credit, a Direct Debit is set up to collect what you need to pay in full.

Keep in Touch

If you receive your Migration Notice, it is important that you contact us, so we can discuss your rent.

Please call 01698 268855 or email and ask to speak to a member of the Revenue Team.

If you are on Universal Credit – you have to make a separate claim for Council Tax Benefit.

                  Invest In People Gold R       Invest In Wellbeing Silver R

SFHA Logo   Customer Service Excellence  Ics    Happy To Translate   Tech Charter logo TIS Member