Skip to Main Content

Return to Noticeboard Stories

Gas Safety Advice

Why do we carry out gas safety checks annually? 

We are required to undertake an annual safety check to protect you, your family, neighbours, and members of the public from potential risks including gas leaks, fires, explosions, and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.  This is a regulatory requirement and we ask that you work with us in terms of access to your property. 

City Technical Services Ltd, our Gas Safe contractor will send out an appointment letter around ten weeks before the expiry of the current gas safety visit.  It is important if the date and time is not suitable that you either contact City Technical Services Ltd or the Clyde Valley Group to arrange a more convenient time.   

City Technical will attend on the date and time given on the letter if not notified otherwise.  In the event of a ‘no access’, a further attempt will be made by City Technical to reattend in approximately seven days before referring to the Clyde Valley Group. 

The gas safety administrator within the Clyde Valley Group will attempt one further documented attempt to arrange access with you before issuing a final notice of taking access as per the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement.  At this stage, any associated costs of taking access would be passed on to you. 

Early engagement greatly reduces the administrative burden and costs borne by the Clyde Valley Group, which in turn helps to keep your rents affordable. Your assistance in doing so is greatly appreciated and we can offer evening appointments when you work during the day. 

What to do if you smell gas 

It’s crucial to act quickly in a gas emergency. These are the steps you need to take to stay safe: 

  • Get fresh air immediately; make sure you open all doors and windows to ventilate the area. 

  • Turn off the gas emergency control valve (also called gas emergency shut off valve) at the meter. 

  • Extinguish all naked flames and don’t smoke. 

  • Don’t operate electrical switches (including turning light switches on or off) because this can ignite escaping gas. 

  • Contact 0800 111 999 who will attend as an emergency 

If the attending emergency operative identifies an issue with any gas appliances, follow their advice concerning the use of the equipment. 

If you’re feeling unwell, visit your GP or hospital immediately and let them know you may have been exposed to carbon monoxide. 

                  Invest In People Gold R       Invest In Wellbeing Silver R

SFHA Logo   Customer Service Excellence  Ics    Happy To Translate   Tech Charter logo TIS Member Scottish Housing Regulator SHR Logo