Scottish Welfare Fund

The Scottish Welfare Fund helps families and people in Scotland who are on low incomes through Crisis Grants and Community Care Grants.

You can apply for a:

Crisis Grant - if you’re in a crisis because of a disaster (like a fire or a flood), or an emergency (like losing your money or an unexpected expense)

Community Care Grant – to help you or someone you care for start to live, or carry on living, a settled life in the community.

Please look online at for further details.

Further help with money problems

Always look for independent advice.

You can get general advice for your money problems from:

Find information and advice on managing money, housing, homelessness and other issues at Scotland’s Financial Health Service.

Visit your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau to speak to somebody face to face or call 0845 450 0351.

Find details of agencies that give independent financial advice at Money Advice Scotland.

Food Banks

Food banks have been developed to help people in times of crisis. You may need this service due to an unexpected change in circumstances, sudden loss of employment or delays in your Benefit.

In order to get help from the food bank you will need to be referred with a voucher.

Referral process

Each food bank works with different frontline professionals, such as doctors, health visitors, social workers and the Citizens Advice who make referrals to the food bank using a voucher. The food bank and referral agency use the voucher to gather some basic information. This will help them to identify the cause of the crisis, offer practical guidance and prepare suitable emergency food.

There are a number of different food bank providers operating in North and South Lanarkshire. Trussell Trust & Basics Food Bank are the largest providers in Lanarkshire. Please search on the internet for locations near you. If you need help and assistance please give us a call on 01698 268855.